I assume that you clicked to this page because you heard of this LSI thing from somewhere and you want to demystify this buzzword once and for all. If that’s the case, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I will teach you the concept of LSI keywords and how you can take advantage of it when crafting your blog content. I will also give you the tools and techniques to help generate these keywords.
And that’s not all. I will share with you a simple yet very powerful secret to unlocking these phrases. It’s so simple that you might be doing this already! So stay tuned and read this article all throughout.
Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) is simply a fancy term for synonyms and is actually just a mathematical formula being used by computers to interpret language. It’s a principle that is used by search engines to better identify the context of your topics.
For instance, think of the word apple. What does apple mean? You might refer to the red or green fruit, or the tech company that sells gadgets and music to people. To us humans, it may seem obvious and easy to interpret. But what about machines, how do they differentiate the fruit from the gadget?
The way they do it is by identifying words that are related to the original word. Apple as a fruit will have the following words included in the content:
While Apple as a company will have these related words:
- Steve Jobs
The word or phrase might look and sound the same, but because of LSI, machines can distinguish one from another with the help of supporting words included in the content.
This mechanism works to keep black hat people from spamming keywords all throughout the content and trick Google into ranking them higher in SERPs. The ability to understand context is the main reason why search engines can provide relevant results to people and keep spam from reaching them.
So as it turns out, this is a great feature to consider adding into your tool set especially as a search engine optimizer.
Why Leverage This Concept
I believe there are at least 5 reasons why you should tap into the power of LSI for your blog posts and they all prove to be beneficial for your website.
1. You can rank for phrases that are closely related to your keywords. If you are having trouble with finding keywords to include in your articles, then you can be relieved knowing that equivalent phrases will work just as well. You are literally hitting more than two birds with one stone when it comes to keywords.
2. Google can better understand what your content is all about. The bots that crawl your website identify every word that you write in your posts and make a connection between all of them, the result being better rankings and variations in keywords where your site will appear.
3. Readers won’t perceive you as spammer when you write with variety. Imagine “Adidas shoes” showing up many times in a paragraph and realize how awesome Adidas shoes are just because Adidas shoes seem to appear very common in the content, the intention being to make you buy Adidas shoes through my affiliate link. (See what I did there?)
4. Relevance. If you were researching for long tail keywords and instead stumbled on an LSI equivalent, then the keyword you find will also be relevant. “How to lose weight” for example can become “How to lose fat” and further delve down into “How to lose belly fat” or “How to lose abdominal fat”.
5. You will naturally grow your knowledge bank just by researching these keywords. Imagine the first time you heard the word “SEO”. I bet while you’re reading or watching about it, you started discovering terms such as SERP, keywords, backlinks, white hat, black hat, indexing, search query, long tail, and of course, LSI.
Generate LSI Keywords Using These Tools
Still interested? Great, because now I will show you the ways to find these LSI phrases. When I used these tools myself, I realized that not only can you find great keywords from them, but they can also spark some blogging ideas that you otherwise wouldn’t have discovered.
1. LSI Generators
There are built-in tools that literally generate LSI keywords with any topic you choose. This tool in the screenshot is called LSIGraph, and it works by typing a word or phrase, clicking the captcha and press generate. You should be able to generate dozens of ideas here to see if something works for you.
2. Auto-Complete Tools
The easiest way to find variations of your main keyword is through autocomplete tools, and the best tool for that is Soovle. The platform pools all the top search engines and shows you suggestions the moment you start typing! The first time I typed a keyword here, I was surprised to find out how awesome this tool is, that’s why you should give it a try.
3. Answer The Public
Another awesome tool for finding LSI is Answer The Public. Basically you type a word or phrase in the search box and it will generate an interactive visualization tool containing lots of phrases and ideas that you otherwise wouldn’t have discovered. Just look at the image, doesn’t it look amazing?
4. One Look for Related Words
If you ever struggle with finding a synonym or related word to a main keyword, I suggest you try OneLook Thesaurus. Take note that this only works for single terms. But still, it can work wonders. You can also use this tool if you’re trying to remember a word that’s in the tip of your tongue and want it out.
5. Related Searches
Head over to Google search and at the bottom of the search results, you will find some related searches. Use this part to your advantage so that you’ll be able to find LSI keywords for your website.
6. Your Favorite Keyword Tool
Keyword tools provide insightful phrases that you can actually use to hunt for related phrases. Not only does your keyword show up, it also suggests other keywords related to what you just typed. In the image shown, I used Wealthy Affiliate’s keyword tool to find some ideas to write for my blog (other times I use Jaaxy).
There’s a Simple, Yet Powerful Secret
I don’t know if it’s really a secret, but I do believe that it works. There’s only one thing that you should actually do to produce LSI keywords while creating your content:
Stop worrying about it and just write naturally!
Latent Semantic Indexing is a feature that search engines have built for them to better interpret your website. That’s why it’s best to leave things as they are. By writing the way you normally do, you can naturally generate keywords inside your content.
By writing naturally, you also prevent looking awkward to real people as a result of intentionally choosing words. When your sentences flow freely and are written in a conversational manner, then more readers will engage with your content.
Another thing you might want to consider is content length. It has been said that the longer your articles are, the more tendency for LSI keywords to show up. That’s why you should write at least 1,000 words for every blog post you make and publish in your website. In this way, you create more opportunities for search engines to rank your site.
For more tips on SEO, check out my other blog posts:
What do you think of LSI keywords? Do you take advantage of it in your own website? Come share your thoughts in the comments below.